Every year in the UK, around 70 people die and 1.2 million are injured in electrical accidents at home. An O’Neill tenant could have been one of them.
The Electrical Safety Council has reported that private tenants are disproportionately affected by electric shocks in their homes and that more then one fifth of all private tenants already report concerns with electrical safety in their home.
Compulsory electrical testing is needed now
A recent report by the Electrical Safety Council has revealed really shocking findings including that the fact that 1.7 million private renters report electrical faults that are ignored or acted on too late.
The Chairperson of NPTO said: “One of our members nearly lost their life to due to damp getting into wiring and sockets”. “We are calling for compulsory periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations and appliances in all private rented homes.”
Join the campaign for compulsory electrical testing.
Protect yourself and your family by only renting properties which have undergone electrical safety testing. Members of the Association of Residential Letting Agents recommend members conduct electrical safety checks every five years.
Do not put your life and property at risk by renting from landlords or firms who do not carry out such works. Faulty wiring is a leading cause of domestic fires.
An O’Neill tenant was put at risk of electrocution owing to the negligence of the property owner in failing to carry out basic safety checks. If O’Neill refused to let properties without a current electrical safety certificate, this could have been avoided.
- Faulty electrics ‘could kill tenants’ (centrallobby.politicshome.com)
- ‘Private landlords are putting lives at risk by ignoring electrical faults’ (standard.co.uk)
- Private tenants at risk of electric shocks (edinburghoneillpropertyreviews.wordpress.com)